Sunday 19 October 2014

Beautiful Ruins

A quick post as I want to record some quotes from a recent book I read. More for my musings I guess, but thought this was as good a place as any to log them:

She tossed her hair back. "I've been thinking about how people sit around for years waiting for their lives to begin, right? Like a movie. You know what I mean?… I know I felt that way. For years. It was as if I was a character in a movie and the real action was about to start at any minute. But I think some people wait forever, and only at the end of their lives do they realise that their life has happened while they were waiting for it to start."

- - - - - - -

"All we have is the story we tell. Everything we do, every decision we make, our strength, weakness, motivation, history, and character - what we believe - none of it is real; it's all part of the story we tell! But here's the thing: it's our goddamned story!"

- - - - - - -

There would seem to be nothing more obvious, 
more tangible and palpable that the present moment. 
And yet is eludes us completely.
All the sadness of life lies in that fact.
- Milan Kundera

All taken from Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter. A great book.

No comments:

Post a Comment