Wednesday 7 May 2014

Roman Holiday

It's been brought to my attention that I haven't posted anything for ages. Something that I'm very aware of, but when I'm working I find blogging difficult on two counts. One is that my working life is mundane, I just don't feel the inclination to post anything - what would I even say? The second is that I lack time, and when I'm not feeling it, the posts take even longer to write. But anyway, given that I'm currently in Rome, neither of those excuses wash. So this goes out to you Lukester - with thanks for still checking in and for chasing a post xx

Given I spend half my life in Italy, it's actually a sacrilege that I've not been to Rome before now, but here I am on my first ever Roman Holiday. (Pretty shit that I've not seen the film either, come to mention it). I arrived yesterday and have had a couple of days on my own before my Italian and French friends arrive tomorrow and we're here until Sunday, so just under a week for me in this stunning city.

Rome isn't what I was expecting. It's much smaller - I've walked everywhere so far. And way more beautiful. I was expecting the history and the architecture but I was also expecting to have to put up with some less pleasant parts, like any big city, but it's not like that. It's like one big museum. It feels safe and full of tourists - like really full, by the orange-cap, audio-guide-wearing groupful. And there's historic monuments on every corner, including Roman ruins. That's Roman. And not just a bit of wall here and there. I'm talking pillars and foundations and proper intact stuff. You become a bit blasé about them after a while. Except the ruined temple that was built in the third century BC that is now a flippin' cat sanctuary - that got my attention!

The Trevi fountain is amazing - the scale of it, in a relatively small piazza, is incredible. The simplicity of the Pantheon is beautiful. And the fact it was built by Hadrian gets it instant kudos with this Northumbrian. The pristine whiteness of the Vatican against the bluest of skies this morning was stunning. I could go on and on… And the city is so green too. There's lots of trees and parks and a big wide brown river. I'm not sure why it's brown - I need to Google that. 

I've been disappointed by the food to date. I wonder if there's a correlation with the high proportion of tourists? I had an average pizza in an average restaurant last night, then tonight I sent my fish back twice as it was uncooked in the middle and I then refused to eat the mashed up, reheated, dry effort they brought me on the third try. I just paid for the wine and walked. Serves me right for not just going cheap and cheerful maybe. Given how much I love my food and how much I connect food with location, I was really disappointed. Not to mention the thought that goes into choosing where I eat when dining solo. But hey ho.

After agonising over which hotel to book, I'm really pleased I chose the one I did. It's more like a boutique B&B. The staff are super friendly, it's clean and modern and there's fresh flowers in my room - which is a lovely touch. It's really near Piazza Navona and has proved a great base for all the sights. And one of my favourite parts of the city so far is right on my doorstep - the little 'vicoli' or small streets that wind their way towards the river. Today I abandoned my guide book and just wandered and it was liberating and quiet and relatively tourist-free. Such a contrast to my sit at the Trevi fountain where I lost count of the number of photos I was asked to take.

While waiting for fish attempt number two or three to appear at dinner tonight, I had that realisation that I eventually get in most places I go to about why I'm actually here, and here on my own at that. I sent up a silent thanks to T who, through his death, has given me all of these opportunities - these places and friends and sights and sounds. The things that all add up to make my life as amazing as it is. I'm grateful and lucky and right now, I'm very happy. To be here in Rome, even alone. But knowing that this time tomorrow I'll be surrounded by laughter and love and food and drink and the prospect of four sunny, fun-filled days ahead of us. And I guess although I'm not particularly happy that I've got sucked back into the work vortex (just over a year in the same job - say it quick, it's the only way), work does make these holiday times even more special. I can certainly think of worse ways to spend a Tuesday than the day I've had today, raw fish included.

No comments:

Post a Comment