Monday 18 July 2011

Where I am

I'm back. The good news is that we've been told that the grammar test went well for the most part. Not yet sure whether that means we've all got the obligatory 70%, but will find out tomorrow. Anyway, it went better than I expected, so that's a relief. I also just found out that I've got my first student tomorrow - a 15-year-old girl, not sure of her level so not quite sure how I'll create a lesson plan. Think I'll just try and wangle a one hour needs assessment.


My cell!
I've had a specific request from my mate Sal for more information about where I am and what it's like, so here it is: I'm living in the sparsely furnished apartment about 15 mins on the train from the centre of Nice. It's about a mile from the beach. It's very residential and green which also means it's much quieter than living in the centre - French cities are notoriously noisy to live in. It's very close to a decent-sized supermarket and about a ten minute walk from the station. Today when I opened the shutters the sky was the most beautiful blue and I love getting glimpses of the sea from various points on my journey to and from school. So far I haven't ventured into the pool (which is big) as there's always been people there and I don't know the ropes - I'm basically being a chicken. Might try going before school as I've never seen anyone there in the mornings and it would be a nice way to start my day. I'm also going to go for another run this evening. I went out the other evening and ran to the beach and along the prom. I love running beside the sea!

Longer term plans are still undecided. There's a possibility I might move into one of my classmate's apartments in the town centre in August and there's also a possibility that I might be able to rent a fully furnished one-bedroom apartment in the centre from September onwards. The family we had the BBQ with on Saturday mentioned to Chri that they might want to hire an au pair to teach their kids English, so that could also be a (short-term!) option. Who knows? I'm just taking it as it comes at the minute but if I'm staying here then I'd like to live in town as there's nothing going on where I am now and it's tricky to get home after a night out.

No comments:

Post a Comment