Monday 1 March 2010

Business class all the way

So, I did it. I managed to finally decide what to pack and what to leave at home (5 pairs of shoes and straighteners all made it into the essentials pile), I sorted out all my last minute bits in the flat, I closed the door behind me and managed not to crumble, and lasted until we got to Heathrow before having my meltdown. Not bad I reckon. My panic attack came to nothing once I shared it with my friends, my Australian visa had gone through after all (after the check-in woman couldn't find it on the system) and my bag amazingly only weighed 19.4kg, so I know I must have forgotten something essential. Then there was nothing for it but to say a stressed, quick and emotional goodbye to my lovely well-wishers Margot, Sam, Molly and Zehra (thanks so much guys - you really are the best. If I'd gone on my own I may well not have got on the plane) and go through security. Then there were more tears on the phone to family and Jo, and not as much time as I would have liked to explore the business class lounge or phone Lynn as I'd planned, before we boarded and I stopped worrying and started living in the moment again. Phew. It's quite draining getting so wound up and definitely a relief to be on my way finally. It all feels very surreal that after two months of talking about it I'm actually doing it. I don't think I'd quite got my head around the doing bit. But it feels so right. I feel at peace with myself right now.

Now, I really, really don't want to be one of those people who brag about how amazing something is while you are stuck at work reading all about it but I guess that's how I'll sound. Sorry. I'm not writing with that intention but you may want to look away now if you've got the Monday blues. Although I wanted to tell you that I'm OK, the main point of this post is to rave and rave and rave about business class. I've had train journeys from London to Newcastle that have felt longer than that 11.5hr flight just did. But the sleeping tablet, champagne and travel sickness tablet cocktail probably all contributed too - I don't tend to have that when I go up north. I'm now thinking that I might have to set myself a new personal standard to find a job that pays enough for me to fly business class on all long-hauls. It really makes a difference. I can't thank you enough for sorting those flights, Dad ;o)

Here's the detail: I got on the plane and went upstairs. Upstairs! It's like you're on your own little private jet up there. No riff raff to worry about and no queues for the loo. I picked up the Mail on Sunday (it was that or the Express) and I read an article about swimming with dolphins (I'll be doing just that in about 2 wk's time), then I had champagne and peanuts and stretched out my legs as far as they could reach and my gleaming new Converse still didn't reach the wall in front of me. Then I read the in-flight magazine and saw that Whale Watching Kaikoura won two awards in some recent awards ceremony. Yep, that's where I'll be doing the dolphin swimming. Then I had some satay. Then some smoked halibut. That's two appetisers. On a plane. Then the main - seabass. Pudding was a bit of a disappointment but by then I was too full to care. I had a chamomile tea then finished the in-flight magazine: an article on Stockholm (T took me there for my birthday two years ago), another on the Masai people in Kenya (where we went on honeymoon), one about Rio (our favourite South American city) and finally an article by someone who'd completed a two-day motorcycle trip in Malaysia. Later, I flicked through the Sunday Times Travel magazine and stumbled across a 27-page special on NZ. That's rather a lot of coincidences I reckon. It all feels like it's meant to be. Weird.

I got chatting to my neighbour, a friendly Malaysian doctor, who proceeded to show me entire albums of photos of his wife and kids at Langkawi, Wellington, HK... that made me sleepy so I reclined my chair and curled up for a bit of shut eye. No time to watch any of the films, although the one that I might have watched, 'An Education' said in the synopsis: "Jenny's dreams of a life less ordinary come true..." Weird again. I woke up occasionally to get comfy, replace an ear plug, or when the seatbelt sign came on and off. There was a bit of turbulence but nothing untoward. I had no idea of the time, couldn't see one of those godforsaken screens showing that your plane is... oh, still over Europe, and before I knew it we were woken up for breakfast (no peach pancakes left so settled for plain old Alpen) and landed shortly afterwards. I've had a shower, spoken to my Dad and discovered the internet access, so here I am.

It's 7.54pm here so I've lost an entire morning and afternoon but it does mean I'm entitled to another glass of champagne. My next flight is at 9.30pm so I don't have too much time to kill. I'll go and read about Cheryl Cole in my Hello magazine and sup some champers. Think of me won't you?

Thanks for the emails and good wishes. It helps me feel less alone. And sorry this post may be particularly long and possibly boring. I don't have anyone else to tell so you're getting it all...

Next stop Auckland then change plans for the one hour flight to Wellington where lovely Laura will be waiting for me. Arrive about 3.30pm their time tomorrow. Bye for now from Malaysia.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely hearing your voice this morning and to know you arrived in style at NZ.Loved reading your blog and can't believe that I was nagging (yes nagging)you to set one up and you had already started one (cheeky little monkey)Have a lovely time. Love as always x

    ReplyDelete